Tuesday 22 September 2020

HOW TO LET GO OF ITEMS WITH SENTIMENTAL VALUE



Are you having a difficult time letting go of items with sentimental value?   Mia at miadanielle.com says that " letting go is an emotional process and decluttering is all about learning to let go".  

 I've come across several tips, the most common of which is: "if we have something we're reluctant to let go that is tacked away somewhere, either we use it or showcase it, otherwise sell or give away to someone who will love it". 

This is so true, especially if it has been in storage for quite sometime.  In this age of minimalism, declutter is the mantra. They say that keeping something we don't use or display is clutter that occupies a space that could be of better use for something more important in our present lives. 

Don't they often say: "live for today"?

Why keep something of the past?, they ask.  But I'm sure there is that something that has meaning to us, something we acquired way back when that we can't seem to part with. 

When we moved from our home of 38 years, I thought that it was a good time to declutter so I took time sorting things to keep, store or give away.  By then, my emotions were already raw, I was crying because I felt like I was compartmentalizing our lives in boxes. 

As I went through two shoe boxes of greeting cards that I kept pre-digital times, I didn't have the heart to part with them; they are filled with loving thoughts; throwing them away felt like giving up part of my family who gave them.   My younger daughter came to the rescue: "They are just two shoe boxes Mom, I'd say you keep them all, how much space will they occupy?". 

Today, the shoe boxes are still in a drawer somewhere, I know a time will come when I will take pictures of the best ones from each of my family members and close relatives so I can finally discard them. 

But really, sometimes it is not healthy to be so attached to material things unless they are so special like the punch bowl set that has held several thousand island desserts.  My husband bought that for me in the 70's when US goods could only be bought at the stalls  outside of Clark Air Base at a relatively good price.  Then there is that antique mini  intricate crystal  punch bowl set from my mother-in-law that I treasure so much.  Both are displayed in our dining  room where I put fruits. 

Many of us may think that our children would like to have our sentimental items in their homes.  Believe me, they have other ideas, you'd be surprised to know that every piece of decor, every dish or vase that they incorporate in their homes is given a lot of thought. 

When we moved, I discarded two-thirds of my kitchen effects, half of my clothes, almost all knick knacks and donated  5 balikbayan boxes of books to our parish to give away to distant parish schools. 

My son only asked for his Tonka toys, my older daughter took the piano,  a crystal dish and a Pyrex loaf pan while my younger daughter took an antique cake server and a crystal vase. 

What to do then?? 

First, let's try to incorporate them in our home decor, in a way that is appropriate.  Experts caution that it should blend well with our set up; we should not try to accommodate them just for the sake of keeping them especially if they are big items lest our home may look like a museum.  

If it's a set of coffee mugs, by all means, let's use them, if they break, then that's it.  If it is a set of delicate China let us enjoy them everyday;  that would be making the most out of them.  

For seniors like me, we can still ask our children if they need or want to keep our treasure/treasures.  Let us be considerate though by letting go of most of our things, not only those with sentimental value but every little thing that we no longer use.  

While there's still time; let us not leave this burden for our children to do when we are already gone.  The best way is to find a home for them like a relative or a friend who would love them as much as we do. 

If not, sell.  Take a picture and advertise online.  Someone out there maybe looking for something like it. Then we can use the money to buy a more useful item to keep the memory of our treasure alive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment