Thursday 15 October 2015

Reflections Of An Aspiring Gardener



I have yet to experience all the wonderful things that gardeners share on line.  The invaluable stories of experts as well as beginners get me so much inspired that I can't read enough of them.  The pictures they post are amazing.  They talk about managing and appreciating their to-go place to de-stress and  to commune with nature.  

Eating alfresco conjures a unique ambiance, an atmosphere that no interior space can match.   Whether it's an informal barbecue with family or a more elegant adult dinner, dining in the garden will provide a setting for memorable occasions. 

One gardener mentioned that the whole world should also get to enjoy the tradition of Mediterranean countries; they pick veggies from the garden to cook and eat the same outside, thus linking the dining room and garden. 

Another gardener said that an edible garden nurtures the five senses; come to think of it, she's right.  
Though our garden is small, I enjoy this landscape, especially when I see healthy plants.  I look up and see the beautiful blue sky and the stars at night. 
I smell the scent of leaves ( flowers are limited as yet) as well as the earth and grass.  
I touch the velvety leaves and feel the smooth grass when I go barefoot. I touch the soil when I plant and feel the gentle breeze. 
I hear the rustle of the leaves as they are moved by the breeze and the crackle when they fall.  
Lastly, I savor the taste of the herbs' flavorings when I use them in cooking and the crunch of the fresh veggies in my salad. 

Someone expressed  his ambivalence whether to prevent natural elements touch his plants or just let go and allow nature (the interaction of plants and other live elements) to take its course.  Another gardener shared his awareness and acceptance that plants are living things too, and that they have a will of their own; hence they behave the way they want to no matter what and how gardeners want their gardens to be. 

I learned that like any other art, gardening too,  has history and culture as manifested  by plants that our ancestors cultivated.  History proved that they brought along seeds and twigs of plants as they migrated from one place to another; and their methods of cooking and food preservation were passed down through the generations.

The brother-in-law in Vancouver, the backyard gardener I was referring to earlier says that the grass along with the plants combined exude so much oxygen that bring about a healthy environment.  I didn't even realize that grass do that except the calming effect they provide. 

Such stories and insights really take gardening to a higher level; beyond just enjoying the scene and expecting harvest.  As a new gardener I am still in the stage where my perception is more on the view, I like to see order and healthy growing plants.  Most of all, it gives me so much pleasure to cut off some leaves for our salad.  I can't wait for fruits to grow and mature. 

My husband though an engineer, is not new in this field.  He had been exposed to gardening earlier that aside from design and order, he is  concerned with soil treatment, sunlight and watering requirements. He was brought along to extensively observe gardening  in Bangkok and Chiangmai, Thailand by  a professor at the university of Kassetsart who is responsible for the King's gardens.  

This blog is full of text, I'd like to insert some refreshing pictures like these citrus trees, the lemon  and calamansi which are presently my favorites.



Look closely at the white parts, they're all flowers. They're at the ends of the twigs. 




From this calamansi, I already picked two fruits to make shrimp paste dip for fried fish. 



Hopefully with those shared insights along with my own up coming gardening experience,  I will develop a better appreciation and a deeper understanding of the art of gardening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment