Thursday 9 July 2015

Reflections At 70


Picture from 123RF stock photo. Copywriter - Robyn Mackenzie

Not everyone is blessed to live up to 70; I can't believe I'm one of the lucky few to have made it to my eighth decade of life. Time really goes by and if I open my memory playlist, memories dance in my mind; my triumphs and disappointments, good times and bad, challenges I had overcome; experiences that are wonderful and sweet, horrible and painful.  Along with regrets is a resolve to make things better, thankful as well that by God's grace, I still have time left.

But I know one thing, time is running out, I am aware that our lives hang on a thread that easily breaks and any moment maybe our last.  Just yesterday, I got dizzy sorting my glassware.  It became more complicated when I took a tablet on an empty stomach.  This reminded me that life can be tricky and that I can't be sure how much time I have left to spend with my husband, my children and grandchildren; something I just couldn't get enough of.  

Why do I feel that the days are shorter and time passes like a breeze.  So, when I blow the candle on my birthday cake this month, my wish is to be given more time.  Hopefully with luck I'll remain put together for a few more years to live and do my undertakings well.

As I focus on my memory playlist,  I feel blessed that most of my bucket list have come true; and maybe I shouldn't ask for more.  Yet--- why do I feel like I still have 70 things I want to do; there is that unreachable bar I need to reach, new opportunities and experiences to embrace.  Shouldn't life be like that;  a continuous journey full of interesting activities to fulfill our passions?  As Oprah said:
"Passion is energy, feel the power that comes from focusing on what excites you."

I recall one conversation I had with my son when I turned sixty; I was at the lowest point in my life then.  On one of our afternoon walks just around the neighborhood of his condo in Singapore, he said that I am blessed with a good life, I had my share of travel and great experiences professionally and personally.  Maybe he meant that I should be content since I've "been there, done all that"; therefore I should be happy, right?  Ohh ---- that I am!
But then, I felt that my life should not end there. 

Now, ten years after that talk, I feel like I just couldn't float along the waves of life, I choose to stay in the game.  I am always hopeful that anytime soon, I'll find a spark of knowledge or experience that will enhance my passions, my talents or abilities to do something that would make me excited.  For me that's what living is all about, not just existing; for what is a life without something to look forward to; whatever that is; I know it varies at different stages of life. 

Was it only last month when my husband showed me the veggie seeds he bought:
"Look, I got mustard and cabbage seeds that I intend to sow on my pocket garden", he said;  
He meant that he has something to nurture along with his ornamentals,  a reason to get up in the morning to check how they are growing.

That's exactly what I mean, no matter our age, we can still embark on activities we are passionate about; something that gives us fulfillment and makes us forget time; let's not wait for things to happen; let's make things happen.   If we must, then let's live outside of the box, outside of normal if that is what it takes to live the life of our dreams.  As Brian Tracy says: 
"let's do the unusual thing, we must be willing to go out of our comfort zone and not feel awkward and uncomfortable in trying something new".

Now I recall one popular post on facebook about a man who went to have his phone checked.
"Your phone is working fine", the technician told him. 
"But why doesn't my children ever call?", he asked. 

Early on, my husband and I came to terms in dealing with this situation; though we love to be with our children often, we have our own hobbies, and pre-occupation to keep us going.  When our children are around, we drop everything to make the most of the opportunity.  

So to this man (whose phone doesn't ring), I can only say to "get a life"; do something to while away time, find something of interest and develop it as a hobby.  Here's an advise from one of the blogs at 70candles.com:  "live your life and make it a verb everyday".

It is unfortunate how life plays with us and we never know what is next.  How will my next chapter; at least, the next ten years play out, what's more, how will it end?  I know it's all up to The Almighty for He plans everything. 

Someone said that: 
"the success of a race isn't determined by how you start but how you finish. It's the second half that counts".   

To make better the remainder of my second half, I'd like to hid Dr. Plaster when he asked in his book: "The 100-year Lifestyle": 
"Are you hibernating or are you ready for your next big thing?"
He says that choosing the next big thing will bring incredible passion back into one's life. He mentions Helen Pavlov as an example, who at the age of 94 was able to write and publish a book. 

And what Bruce Lee said to his friend, John Little during a training run is also something to think about:  --- If you stop at your limits:
"…you might as well be dead. Seriously, if you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it’ll spread over into the rest of your life. It’ll spread into your work, into your morality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level.” --- Bruce Lee

At this stage however, I won't try to exceed my physical limits but plateaus won't discourage me to pursue my endeavors.  For now I will be on the lookout for that spark of an idea or that adrenaline-filled experience that will lead me to my next big thing.  After all they all say that 70 is a vibrant age if one has a good state of health and especially a good state of mind.  Therefore I shall look forward to conquering any challenge that will make my remaining days more amazing than they had ever been. 

No comments:

Post a Comment