Sunday 17 June 2018

My Ten Best-Loved Novels A Day On Facebook



I was nominated by Grace, my childhood friend and now a multi-awarded author (of 50 books and counting) to post my most-loved novels one day at a time for ten days.  In turn, I will nominate and tag a different friend everyday to do the same.  

I'm not fond of such Facebook challenges but I just couldn't pass up this one, like the 100-Happy-Days-Living-for-Today" challenge suggested by my younger daughter earlier on.  For 100 consecutive days I made a post on Facebook about something that made me happy everyday.

The "The-100-Happy-Days-Living-for-Today" challenge  gave me a better awareness of my surroundings and the people around me.  It took another level of appreciation and sensitivity to draw out the interesting ones that made me happy, it did  not matter whether they were insignificant at all to others.  

I'm optimistic that this novel challenge will bring me another level of joy because this will also be about my Facebook friends.  Moreover, it will surely remind me of those early days reading them.  I'm excited and at the same time curious what my friends' favorite novels are, I wonder if their choices  are  similar to mine. 

Upon seeing my nomination, I immediately dug into my books but I couldn't find any novel except this one.  Obviously, this made my first post. 



Most of those I retained after my declutter 3 years ago (when we moved to this new home) are self-help books about life, health and aging gracefully.  But I have this book, so apparently it meant much to me otherwise it could have gone with the rest.  With the advent of iPad, I stopped buying paperbacks and read on line. 

I was temporarily at a loss what I'd post the next day.  I could google though but...what?  My mind drew a blank. I couldn't recall authors nor the titles of novels I enjoyed.  What to do?

Wait! I could recall some plots  but not the titles of novels nor their authors.  Fortunately again Jim, who is also one of my blog editors came to my rescue.  

For instance, I asked him about the story of a priest who had a secret love affair.  I  recall the scene in Australia,  I can still picture sheep stations in my mind as described in the book. and Jim, as if he was just thinking about it automatically said: "The Thorn Birds".

"Come on", I said.  "Tell me more about the novels we enjoyed together earlier" and so our recollection began.  We came out with seven worth posting; I googled the book covers and read their synopses to make sure they are the novels we talked about. 

This is great, we found a common topic that we both enjoyed; we are happy to know that when we put our minds on things,  downloading from our memory banks come easily.  Isn't that great for guys in their seventies? 

Here are the rest of my choice novels that I posted: 

2nd day: 


3rd day:


4th day:


5th day:


6th day:



7th day:


8th day:


9th day:


10th day:


Wait!  Why did I fail to include this book?  I love this. At least I can post it here. 




I could have posted more, like a novel each of Barbara Delinsky, Danielle Steel, Nora Roberts, Eileen Goudge, Pearl S. Buck, etc.  however, please don't think that I'm that ancient.  I also read Dan Brown and the works of more modern authors, though the earlier ones are those I remember most.  Besides, the more books I read, the less I can remember.  

When I reached adolescence my Mama started me with the wholesome love stories of Emilie Loring while my older brother had the whole set of Tom Sawyer.  Immediately after,  we graduated to the mystery novels of Earl Stanley Gardner and Perry Mason, then came the Ian Fleming thrillers that my parents and brother enjoyed. 

Today, I seldom read bestsellers, unlike earlier when I read one every month. Nowadays I read mostly contemporary romance from Kobo, the beauty of Bookbub is they present free and cheap novels based on your reading history. 

So guys, what do you think of my choices? Too feminine?



No comments:

Post a Comment