Friday 31 August 2018

A FUN DAY AT THE SALCEDO COMMUNITY MARKET



Two weeks ago today, my sister from the US came for a visit.  Wanting to make her enjoy Filipino delicacies, food and wares, our son-in-law and older daughter brought us to the Salcedo Community Market.  This opens only on weekend mornings. 

Here we are at Salcedo Community Market



"I always like to go to markets and groceries", my sister told me.   I fully share her sentiment.  To me, they are like mines, you can never tell what they have in store.  

On the first stall we happened upon, my sister already bought puto and kutsinta to bring home.  We went around the stalls one after the other so as not miss anything.  

After passing several stores, we stopped to pose. 



Here is my daughter and  my granddaughter who couldn't  smile, I guess her month is full. 

                  Japanese pancakes

Pancake batter cooked on rounded steel molds; two pieces make a  sandwich where we can choose a filling.   I chose cream cheese, my sister wanted hazel nut spread and my granddaughter liked the choco chips. 

Mid-way around, our purchases added up and so are our bags became heavier. I got two containers of balaw-balaw (fermented rice with shrimps) it is Jim's favorite; suman sa lihya for merienda later and two packs of Lucban longanisa to bring home for breakfast 

Further along, I saw my sister grasping a roll of bills. When I raised an eyebrow in question she said:   "it's easier this way so I don't have to open my wallet every time I purchase.  Wow! She was in a buying mode 

There was roast corn in a cob, brushed with butter, it was my granddaughter's breakfast.  There's even grilled bangus (milkfish) with tomatoes and onions inside.  My sister bought one to bring home.  There was also lechon (Roast pig) served with sauce or a meal set with rice. 



I love this suckling pig roll, a piece of that crunchy goodness rolled in soft wrap with celery stick and hoisen sauce, it tasted like duck skin roll but more tasty. 


Grilled hotdogs, anyone?  My 4-year-old grandson would  love this. 


BBQ lovers will love this, especially the popular chicken inasal. 


Here are the all-time Pinoy favorites, ready to eat bopis, ginatang  ulam, kare kare, dinuguan, tapa, escargot, mussels, etc..  There's also bake Mac and lasagna. 


Oops! There are also plants and native crafts. Look at that Mexican hat on my sister. 


There were lots of Filipino delicacies in colorful containers and packages looking very attractive for balikbayans to bring back home. 


And for dessert, the "dirty ice cream" is one of the most delicious ice creams  I've ever tasted.

Finally after seeing almost everything , we bought our breakfast and found seats by the tables provided.  I didn't bring my water so I bought sago and gulaman  to wash down the Chinese lumpia and lechon I had.  

It was a pleasant experience that made us want to go back there.  I am truly amazed at the ingenuity of our folks to create delicious and interesting food and crafts.  

In my excitement, I all forgot to take more pictures.  Most of them were taken by my sister who wanted to show friends back home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment