Friday 24 March 2017

Optimism Is A Stepping Stone To Success



We didn't know that the real challenge is yet to come, well, not until a giant supermarket opened a "junior" store in the village, just about a block from our store.  

How do we compete with a known superstore that gets big volume discounts and display allowances from the suppliers?  That is a feat that Jim and I have to overcome in the coming months if we want our store to stay afloat.

It's a daunting feeling to look forward to an uncertain future.   This store is not just a place of business to us, it is also a place to go to for a change of scene, a diversion from daily challenges; a source of "coffee money".  But more than that, didn't I tell you that selling is my passion?   It brings me joy to do something that I love aside from gardening.  

Sometime 20 years ago, we almost sold the business to a Japanese guy and his Filipino wife.   I say almost, because we already accepted the payment in hard cash but to our surprise, the couple came back for their money after three days.  The guy felt it beyond his dignity to sell local flip flops, brooms and other daily Filipino household necessities that is in demand. 

But they got a bigger surprise when we gave back the same money they paid us, untouched in their original bundles tied with the same rubber bands. 
"It's the same money, our money", said the Japanese guy when we handed him the money.  I guess he expected us to have spent a part of it or at least deposited it in the bank. 

And so, the business went on.... .....

Two years ago we almost gave it up again, in fact we got several inquiries from prospective buyers.  We even went through a thorough inventory of all items to quantify our merchandise in case a sale will push through. 

That time coincided with our move to this new home.  We thought then that leaving the village where the store is situated may prove complicated logistics-wise.  But then again, circumstances didn't allow the sale to happen. 

Recently, the store has been doing fairly well, and I couldn't help but work harder to improve the service.  In fact, this encouraged me to start making an Operations Handbook for the store while I can;  for our children in case anyone among them would like to take over when we are not able to do it anymore.   

Then our lead man got into trouble with a delivery guy and they ended up in the Barangay hall.  That worried his parents who asked him to cool off in the province along with his brother and his live-in partner who are also part of our staff.  

Minus three from our staff means we can't  operate without us in the store all day.  Add the fact that  our head cashier is already set for a two-week vacation leaving only the other cashier who didn't want to be left alone.   What to do ?  We can't afford to close shop, we will lose customers.   

Ahh,  "when it rains, it pours".  

But Jim and I don't give up easily, this is one of the times that we really put our heads together.   Immediately, we found two people to help run the store with us.  That's the advantage of a retail business over a service-oriented one where the staff need a certain expertise, like a trained beautician is needed in a beauty parlor;  likewise a dress shop needs a seamstress.  Since I'm a hands-on manager, we can run the store without a hitch except it required us to stay at the store for longer hours.  

The challenge is becoming more intense with barely a skeleton staff and the dwindling foot traffic at the store, but we continue running the business.   We are just feeling the impact this week when sales went down.

But then I'm partly hopeful because I know that Jim always thrive on challenges, when things are down he makes them work to his advantage; a challenge can be a stepping stone to success.  An impending failure can turn to success with a positive attitude if we focus closely on our goal; this time optimism is crucial.  I assure you, this won't go without a fight, besides I know that we are in this together, a united effort divides the problem. 

In spite my optimistic mindset, I don't know how to feel about this yet.   It looks like I'm in a holding pattern circling in the clouds above twin airports of resignation or relief, not really knowing which is going to clear me to land.  I guess it would be like this until circumstances will give it a shape again. 

In retrospect, I still believe that this business is meant for us, otherwise, we could have sold it years ago.  Still, anything can happen but I don't stress myself too much anymore, I am resigned and open to new developments.  As I often say: 
"God's plan is bigger than my dreams". 

No comments:

Post a Comment